June 19, 2007

more about dolphin hunting in japan

a friend already had a post about this early this year due to an article in the japan times. it was futo, japan that i referred to in the previous post as the remaining fishing village that continues the mass capture and slaughter of dolphins. and if i'm not mistaken, it was ric o'barry who was featured in the national geographic show i watched last night spearheading the fight to stop this dolphin genocide in the country.

to quote ric o'barry in the article:

I captured about 100 dolphins myself, back in the 1960s, including the five that played Flipper. I changed when Flipper died in my arms from suicide. I use that word with some trepidation, but I don’t know another word that describes self-induced asphyxiation. Dolphins and other whales are not automatic breathers. Every breath they take is a conscious effort, which is why they don’t sleep. If life becomes miserable, they just don’t take the next breath. Flipper looked me in the eye and stopped breathing.

read the entire article at:

http://ideru.kansaiblogger.com/2007/02/23/dolphins/

spread the word in any way you can. through your blogs, for example. the japanese public just needs to be aware because, apparently, they are not.

No comments: